Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Deception of Social Media

With the Internet we have all the world at our finger tips. Yet with the over abundance of social media we fall into the trap of comparing our everyday lives to someone else’s highlight reel.

Let’s be realistic. We don’t have fun, memorable evenings with our closest friends every night. We don’t work out every day, have the greatest, problem-free love story, eat only amazing meals, and travel non-stop. Even pilots’ wives don’t travel constantly, despite what you interpret from our Instagrams.

A pilot’s wife’s life is not easy or always filled with jet setting. We have plenty of lonely, rainy nights like tonight. We go to many parties and weddings alone. We nurse ourselves and our babies back from sicknesses and surgeries alone. It’s not easy, but we have learned to work really hard.

Sometimes, to help get through those exhausting and stressful days, we have getaways where we fly standby to hopefully catch a few rays and sight see. We cross our fingers that we get there and not loose money on hotel reservations because we are spending the evening in an airport in Appleton, WI. It is a perk, but I’ve had many trips where we spent more time trying to get home than we actually spent in our destination.

But on social media, all you see are the pictures. I have found myself not posting things I would like to share with my family and friends because of passive aggressive comments that stem from jealousy. My intention is to never make people feel badly or cause hurt feelings but simply to share in exciting times, the same way I like to see when my friends get promotions, new homes, married, or babies. I hate that we have created a society that retreats to jealousy before rejoicing. I hate that people feel the need to make themselves look better so they can feel better about themselves.

I don’t mean to sound negative. I know that I live a charmed life and I like to share it with those close to me. I want to be able to share my blessings, but people don’t always see behind the cover. This is for more than just pilots’ wives. You never know what someone has gone through to get where they are. You may judge people by their choices, but you don’t know what they had to choose from. So when in doubt, choose love and joy and I promise life gets more beautiful.





No comments:

Post a Comment