Friday, May 20, 2011

Spinach - it's like a miracle drug

Ok, so I admit to being a semi-nutrition nut. My intentions are always good, but I'm not always the best behaved. If I could "have it my way" (note the throw back Burger King reference) I would want my body to only have all fresh fruits, vegetables and nuts. I believe that's how we we were created to eat (per the Bible) but then man created macaroni and cheese. And pizza. And french fries. Yuuuuum.

So when I do eat, I try to learn about what my body needs and what it is getting from what I am putting in my mouth. (Once you wrap your mind around the fact that you are putting this stuff inside a vessle that makes your run and works to keep you healthy and out of pain, you do start caring.) So my recent facination?? Super Spinach!!

Admission - I don't think I ever knowingly ate spinach till maybe a few years ago. The connotation is just bad. After trying a few recipes, I LOVE it!!

Do you realize spinach is a good source of iron, vitamins A, C, K B1, B2, B3, B6 and E? It also contains foliate, fiber, calcium, selenium, zinc, phosphorus, potassium, omega-3 fatty acid.  That all means that it helps protect from certain cancers like stomach, skin, breast, prostate, ovaries and colon. It increases cardiovascular health and prevent heart attacks and strokes. If that's not enough to convince you, it also helps in asthma and arthritis. That's plenty of reason to indulge in the versatile veggie. It's like a miracle drug that God had packaged up just for us!

Here are a few ideas to add it to your diet!

My morning breakfast, I have this every day:
Banana Strawberry Smoothie
Blend:
4 ice cubes
1 banana
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup strawberry, low fat yogurt (if you are really good, Greek yogurt or dairy-free)
1/2 cup spinach leaves
Ignore the weird, freaky green color. It tastes exactly the same as it would if it were a beautiful, strawberry red color. I promise. So yummy and jammed FULL of nutrients your body goes "Yum nom nom" when you drink it.

My current favorite home-by-myself indulgent dinner:
Eggplant Lasagna 
Layer the following twice in a small, oven proof dish:
3 tbsp marinara sauce
1 1/4 inch thick slice eggplant
1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped spinach
2 tbsp shredded part-skim mozzarella

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
Serve with toasted sliced hamburger bun topped with olive oil and garlic
And all that's only 450 calories! The nutrition you get from it is unreal!

Straight from my momma's kitchen, she eats this at least once a day:
Patti's Special Spinach Salad
Plate of spinach leaves (we enjoy the leaves from the produce section as opposed frozen or canned...ew.)
Top with:
chopped granny smith apples
chopped almonds
feta cheese
craisins
Raspberry Vinaigrette

Side note: Mom and I are convinced you just need to find the natural things that are closest to their original state and throw it on a salad plate. Primative, yes. Your body will love you for it though

I know some people say eating healthy is expensive, and it can be. I look at it as more of an investment in your body, you can't go out and buy a new one. Plus if you give your body what it needs, you aren't as hungry all the time.

Adjusting to the full flavors of fresh food is a challenge, our culture is so use to bland, similar flavors. Be open to something different! I didn't always enjoy eating veggies, but I honest to goodness started praying that God would line my tastebuds up to what my body needed. I still enjoy my ice cream, but I think fully understanding why we are eating and what the food does to help our bodies makes it so much more enjoyable!

Disclosure: I'm not a cook by any means. Sometimes I enjoy it, but not often. I just thought I would pass along some ideas, please share if you have some of your own!


Interested in more? Love this book...
http://www.skinnybitch.net/
Oh, and this movie...
http://www.foodincmovie.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment